Monday, January 24, 2011

Slow Cooker Jambalaya


I don't know why I have always feared making jambalaya. For some reason it always seemed really time consuming and difficult. But I found this recipe on the betty crocker website and I had to try it. IT WAS SOOOOO GOOD, so I thought I would share it with everybody. I hope you like it as much as we did.
This particular recipe isn't a spicy one. Although you can totally adjust the spice in it by simply adding more of the red pepper sauce, or some of your favorite spicy flavorings.


1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups chopped fully cooked smoked sausage
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
3/4 pound uncooked peeled deveined medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
4 cups hot cooked rice

1.In 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except shrimp and rice.
2.Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours (or High heat setting 3 to 4 hours).
3.Stir in shrimp. If needed, reduce heat setting to Low; cover and cook on Low heat setting about 1 hour longer or until shrimp are pink and firm. Serve jambalaya with rice.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~I was getting really hungry smelling this cooking so I only let mine cook for 5 hours before I put the shrimp in. After putting the shrimp in, I noticed it was done in under 30 minutes. Maybe my cooker cooks hotter than some but make sure you keep your eye on that. I would recommend starting your rice as soon as you put your shrimp in.
~I added an entire pound of shrimp to mine and boy was I glad I did. Really can you ever have to much shrimp??
~For the smoked sausage, I noticed when I went to the store to buy these that some looked a little different from the others. For example the hot dog looking ones were cheaper, there were some darker colored ones that were more expensive...and so on. Since I am shopping on a budget I went for the cheapest ones (the hot dog looking ones) and although they did have a really good flavor...after sitting in a crockpot for 6 hours they pretty much melted in your mouth. I would recommend getting the more expensive ones that don't look quite so cheap and have a little more...meat to them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...