Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Banoffee Pie...or mess :)


I saw this recipe on the food network channel while I was in Las Vegas with my sister. Of course she was taking forever getting ready (love you sis) so I had a little time to watch some cooking show. I don't remember exactly which show it was from but I had to come home and make it. I have now made this pie twice and the more I have it, the more I like it! So I thought I would share the recipe and see what everybody else thinks of it. I already know I have one fan...one of my nephews, so hopefully there will be a few more who can enjoy it as much as him!



1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 2 sticks)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
Pinch salt
4 bananas, sliced
2 cups heavy whipping cream

1. In a saucepan, cover an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk with water. Simmer for 3 hours, adding water as necessary to keep the can submerged in the water.

2.Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.

3.Mix the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, then cool completely and refrigerate until ready to assemble the pie.

4.Remove the condensed milk from heat and let cool enough to be able to remove the can from the water. Let cool another 10 to 15 minutes before opening the now dark and creamy toffee.

5.Thinly slice the bananas (1/4-inch) on the bias. Evenly arrange 1 layer of bananas over the cooled crust. Pour the toffee over the top and spread evenly. Put another layer of bananas on top of the toffee. Whip 2 cups of cream, in a large bowl, until soft peaks form and spoon it on top of the bananas, spreading it out to make an even layer.

6.Refrigerate the pie for at least 1 hour before serving. Good luck with that...I never make it!

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I sprinkle the top of mine with cinnamon and a few bananas to make it look pretty.
~ I tried the crust with the cinnamon graham crackers and it was pretty good as well.
~ It is very important to let the sweetend condensed milk simmer for the 3 hours. The second time I made it I took it out a little early and the sauce wasn't quite as thick and the flavor was a little different. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT COVERED WITH WATER!!! Ive heard that the can will explode so be careful. So far it hasn't happened to me (knock on wood)
~ I call this a banoffee mess...because it doesn't form the prettiest of pieces of pie, rather it forms a nice mess all over your plate.
~ I also liked it better the next day after it had a little more time to sit, although yes the bananas weren't as nice looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...