Sunday, July 18, 2010

Party-In-A-Bowl Potato Salad


This is a different take on your normal potato salad. I love it. I think it tastes so fresh. This is not your typical mayo, mustard, and whatever other "fun" ingredients they throw into it. This one is just so light and really could go with any dish since the flavors aren't sooooo bold. I love how the avacado brings a creamy aspect to it, while the prosciutto gives it a nice little salty crunch. I believe my sister made this once while we were at her house. I love it when we go there because she likes to try out new recipes that she finds online out on us. This one was a slam dunk, so thank you for sharing!!



2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 pound prosciutto (or lightly smoked ham), diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, minced
2 ripe avocados
1 pint grape tomatoes
Paprika, for garnish

1-Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover them with water, and bring them to a simmer over medium heat. Add the salt, then reduce the heat to low and continue simmering until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes more.
2- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the butter in a skillet until it sizzles. Add the prosciutto and sauté until it's crispy, about 3 minutes.
3- Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. Sprinkle the vinegar over the potatoes and toss to coat.
4- Add the prosciutto to the potatoes, along with the mayonnaise, celery, onion, and parsley. Gently toss to combine, then taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if desired. Cover the salad and refrigerate it overnight (or at least a few hours for better flavor)
5- Before serving, peel and dice the avocados and halve the tomatoes. Gently toss them with the potatoes, then garnish the salad with a dusting of paprika. Serves 8 to 10.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I've tried this with both the Yukon Gold Potatoes and just plain old Russet ones and it tastes good either way.
~ I also am to cheap to afford prosciutto so I just use bacon and it is great. When I do it I do almost the whole package...well okay like 6 slices. It tastes way better with more.
~ I read somewhere that the reason you instantly coat the warm potatoes in the vinegar was because it brings out the flavors better. I must agree it makes it awesome.
~ As you can see I also don't have the tomatoes in my picture for obvious reasons.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...