Friday, January 31, 2020

Tortillas

Homemade tortillas are seriously a BILLION times better then store bought ones. You know how store bought tortillas don't really have much of a flavor...these do! Now, they aren't overpowered in flavor that it takes over whatever yumminess you are putting inside said tortilla, but it's more then just a vessel to hold your fillings. I've been on a huge tortilla making kick for a while now, testing and re-testing different recipes and I finally have come up with the ones I prefer.
Now, do they take a little more time and effort then the kind you buy already made from the store? Yes, but can you make a decent amount and keep them in your fridge for another time when you need some instantly...YEP. So I will typically make a batch on the weekend and then use them throughout the week. (Yes we go through a lot of these because they make the best quesadillas, and lets be real, quesadillas for lunch with little kids is always a win!)

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup HOT water
1/3 cup olive oil

1- Using a stand mixer, combine all dry ingredients and mix on low speed with the dough hook.

2-  Combine the hot water and olive oil in a liquid measuring cup and SLOWLY pour into dry ingredients while the mixer is going.

3- Mix the dough until it has pulled away from the sides, but still slightly sticking to the bottom of the bowl. This shouldn't take long, maybe 5 minutes tops (depending on how slowly you add in the water and oil)

4- Remove the dough from the bowl and place onto a floured surface. Divide the dough into 16 even pieces. **See notes below about something I use on my surface

5- Take each individual piece and roll into a ball and then flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.

6- Lightly rub the outside of the flattened dough ball with olive oil and place back in the mixing bowl.

7- When all pieces are back in the bowl, cover with a clean towel and let sit for 15-30 minutes.

8- When ready to cook, heat a medium sized pan to between medium and medium-low.

9- While pan is heating flour your work surface and place one dough piece in the center. Flatten dough with the palm of your hand to a rough 4 inch circle and then using your rolling pin continue to roll the dough to a 7-8 inch circle. (I do it with my palm first because it helps me to keep the shape better)

10- Transfer tortilla dough to the heated pan and begin cooking. While the first side is cooking pull another dough ball from the bowl and place on floured surface and flatten with palm of hand to 4 inches. At this point (roughly 30 seconds to 1 minute) the first side should be cooked and have nice golden spots on it. This means its time to flip the tortilla in the pan. While second side is cooking, finish rolling out the 4 inch dough that you started to reach 7-8 inches (this should only take 10-20 seconds).

11- Remove tortilla from pan and repeat steps 9 and 10 until you have used all of the dough.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ One thing that I use that helps so much in the shaping and size of these tortillas is to use a Silicone Pastry Mat I use mine ALLLL the time. It not only makes sure your surface is clean, but I don't have to use nearly as much flour to keep it from sticking to my counter. I love how it has the circles on it that help me know exactly how big to make them so they are all as even as possible. I HIGHLY recommend getting one.
~ The first few tortillas that are cooking in the pan, for me, tend to take a little bit longer to get those brown spots. You don't want to allow the tortillas to cook for to long on each side otherwise they won't be pliable for use later and will be to hard. So even if you aren't getting those golden spots, I would pull them off before they get hard. This will take some time to understand your stove temps. A good indication of when to turn, if you don't have those golden spots, is when bubbles have formed on the other side.
~ Getting in a good rhythm helps me get through the cooking process a lot faster. Don't worry if you can't quite keep up and need to let your pan sit empty for a bit. When I first started making these I had to enlist the help of my husband to be the tortilla cooker while I rolled them out. Now that I have made these quite a few times I have found that ones I get in my rhythm it goes very smooth. Find what rhythm works for you and go with it. So my rhythm typically goes (in short form):
put it in the pan, flatten with new with hand, flip the one in pan, roll out the other, remove from pan, add new, flatten another new with hand, flip the one in the pan, blah blah blah. 
~ These store great in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for a month of two. Simply place some parchment or wax paper between each one so they don't get stuck together and tear later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...