Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Sausage Gravy over Biscuits

Okay I apologize for it being so long since I have posted anything. I got in a major recipe slump and started just fixing all of my recipes from on here and had no ambition to try something new. Man I don't know how food bloggers create and have new recipes every day for years and years. It's simply amazing and mind blowing that they have the brain power to do that much. I don't even have that much brain power and I just find recipes lol.
Anyway, to the recipe. Anybody who knows me knows that I love biscuits and gravy. I can be at the yuckiest motel breakfast buffet and still pour me a gloopy  glob onto a hard biscuit if it's available. I don't know why. So finally a couple of months ago I decided I should try to make my own. And boy am I glad I did. I love this recipe. I made this recipe every week for a month till I burned myself out for a bit (and gained a food 5 pounds lol). Now that I'm getting around to typing this up I'm starting to crave it again. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
Now I will admit that this recipe can taste not as good if your sausage doesn't have a lot of flavor. So make sure you get a good sausage.
This recipe comes from a blog I have never been to before but will definitely go back and try out again. It's called Big Bears Wife. Catchy name right?

1-2 pounds ground sausage
1.5 teaspoons butter
3 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons of flour
Salt and Pepper
4-5 cooked biscuits

1. Heat a large skillet on high. Once skillet is hot, place the sausage in the pan and cook until done.

2. While cooking. use a large metal spatula to press down on the sausage to help get some of the extra fat out of the meat.

3. Right before the sausage is ready place three pats of butter about 1/2 a teaspoon or so each into the skillet with the sausage.

4. Place 3 cups of whole milk into the microwave for about two minutes.
(this makes sure that the milk won't curdle when added to the sausage)

5. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour over sausage. Add warm milk, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each cup of milk is added.

6. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.

7. Once you reduce the heat if the gravy is not as thick as you want you can add 1/2 teaspoon of flour at a time stirring after each one is added.

8. Salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for about 10-12 minutes.

9. Pour over biscuits and serve hot.

**Randi's Side Notes**
- I forgot to heat the milk through bedore addinf it to the pan one of the times I made this and I'll tell you what for some reason it does make a difference. So don't forget to do that.
- Using a good homemade biscuit is something I would highly recommend. I use a recipe from my mother in law that I will share tomorrow. I think if using a canned refrigerated biscuit will result in subpar flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...