Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Sausage Gravy over Biscuits

Okay I apologize for it being so long since I have posted anything. I got in a major recipe slump and started just fixing all of my recipes from on here and had no ambition to try something new. Man I don't know how food bloggers create and have new recipes every day for years and years. It's simply amazing and mind blowing that they have the brain power to do that much. I don't even have that much brain power and I just find recipes lol.
Anyway, to the recipe. Anybody who knows me knows that I love biscuits and gravy. I can be at the yuckiest motel breakfast buffet and still pour me a gloopy  glob onto a hard biscuit if it's available. I don't know why. So finally a couple of months ago I decided I should try to make my own. And boy am I glad I did. I love this recipe. I made this recipe every week for a month till I burned myself out for a bit (and gained a food 5 pounds lol). Now that I'm getting around to typing this up I'm starting to crave it again. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
1-2 pounds ground breakfast sausage
1.5 tsp butter
3 cups whole milk
3 TBSP flour
Salt and Pepper
Seasoned salt
4-5 cooked biscuits

1- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium-high. When the skillet is hot add the sausage to the pan.

2- While the sausage is cooking us a large flat utensil to press down on the sausage. This will help to get some of the extra flavor aka fat out of to help flavor the gravy.

3- When the sausage is done add the butter by placing 1/2 tsp. chunks around the pan. Allow the butter to melt down.

4- When butter has melted, sprinkle the flour over the sausage. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.

5- While flour is cooking down heat the milk in the microwave for 2 minutes. This is an important step so don't miss this one. HEAT THE MILK!

6- When the milk has heated, add it one cup at a time to the sausage mixture and stir after to combine with the flour. Adding it slowly like this will ensure that the flour and milk incorporate right and don't leave chunks in your gravy.

7- Add salt and pepper and bring gravy mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Allow to simmer for roughly 10 minutes to thicken and incorporate flavors.

8- Serve over biscuits.


**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I did forget one time to heat the milk before I added it to the pan. The gravy mixture did not taste nearly as good and it didn't thicken correctly so make sure that is a step that isn't missed.
~ You can use other percentages of milk, but whole milk will give you that super thick gravy you want. The others will still taste good, but won't be as thick. I have not tried this with milk alternatives so please use your best judgement there.


Recipe adapted from  Big Bears Wife. Catchy name right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...