Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Breakfast Quinoa


Now I am the first person to tell you that Quinoa is not one of my most favorite things to eat. After trying out a few different ways of having it for dinner and almost wanting the throw it right back up I decided to give it a chance for breakfast. I came across this recipe from one of my most favorite food sites skinnytaste.com and you know what...its actually good. Coming from me that is a pretty big statement because I can't stand the stuff to be honest. The first time I did this diet and did quinoa for breakfast I did everything I could think of to just choke the stuff down. Needless to say I never really looked forward to waking up and eating because I hated it so much.
BUT NOW...I have found this fantastic recipe that makes it taste a lot like cracked wheat cereal. And of course, is diet approved. Enjoy!



1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp cinnamon + more for sprinkling
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 cup warmed fat-free milk for drizzling (non-dairy milk is fine)
1 gala apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

1. Combine quinoa, water, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
2. Divide cooked quinoa between four bowls then stir in apple sauce, raisins, and pour in warmed milk. Top with fresh cut apples and pecans and a dash of cinnamon.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Now to make this so that it is fully diet approved, make sure your using Unsweetened Almond Milk. And keep out the golden raisins, until you are told it is okay to use them.
~ Make sure that you rinse your quinoa off very well. If you don't, it tends to have a bitter flavor which just makes it plain old nasty. Maybe that was my problem before?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...