Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Alfredo Sauce

I have had this recipe for a long time, written on a napkin in my recipe box. I have made it many times and can't believe that I haven't posted about it. Homemade sauce is a million, no...A BILLION times better then that store bought kind. (Although maybe I have just never had a good store bought kind). It really doesn't take that much longer to make because you throw the ingredients in a blender and then heat them up and add cheese. NOT DIFFICULT and so much better!
I am a lover of everything smothered in Alfredo sauce! My husband loves it as well. In fact, every week while I am planning out my menu for the following week I ask him one meal that he would like to have that week and every time it is "oh I don't know, maybe some chicken with some penne and some alfredo sauce?" LOL. (Does anybody else's spouse offer the same opinion every time on food when asking what they want each week?! I have begun wondering if they do this on purpose so you will stop asking or if they really just like the same thing to eat??)
*BTW sauce is REALLY hard to photograph**

1 TBSP butter
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups milk
1/3 cup cream cheese
2 TBSP flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
*additional cheese for serving
*minced parsley
*cracked black pepper

1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
2. While butter is melting combine milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt in blender and blend until smooth.
3. When butter is melted add garlic and let cook 30 seconds or until it starts to become aromatic. DON'T let it burn. If it starts to turn golden brown I highly suggest pulling it out and starting over. There is nothing worse then burned garlic.
4. Add milk mixture to pan and slowly bring to a boil, using medium high heat. Whisk often to prevent sticking on the bottom.
5. Once boiling, turn temperature down and let simmer for 3-5 minutes or until it starts to thicken (This helps to cook out the flour taste)
6. Add cheese and remove from heat.
7. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. It will thicken more with the added cheese.
(If it ends up to thick just add a little bit more milk in)

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I like to use this sauce when I make classic white pizzas.  Just use your favorite pizza crust or french bread! I also like to use it when making Chicken Alfredo.
~ To make this low calorie, use skim milk and low fat cream cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...