Thursday, March 19, 2020

Slow Cooker Corned Beef

Hello all! Life is just crazy. I think that is enough said. Between the holidays, trips, and the dreaded toilet paper shortage of 2020, posting recipes has been the last thing on my mind. But, here I am, getting my mind off of the worries of the world and spending more time at home with my family. Recipes may get a little...interesting...over the next few weeks but that's alright.
I know a few days after St. Patrick's day isn't the typical day to post a recipe about Corned Beef, but, that's what's happening. This is the Corned Beef we made this year and it was absolutely phenomenal! Every year I say the same thing, "Why don't we eat Corned Beef more often?!" Seriously though...why don't we. Corned Beef is absolutely delicious. Cooked in the slow cooker keeps it nice and juicy and tender while packed with the amazing peppercorn and saltiness we all love! I wanted to jazz up the flavor packet just a little by adding a couple of other pantry staples to it.
I opted to leave the traditional carrots, potatoes, and cabbage out of the slow cooker this time, but, you can totally add them in to make this an all in one pot dish.

3 lb. corned beef, with season packet
1 1/2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/4-1/2 cup of water*
1 TBSP sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1- Take the corned beef and cut the package open. You will want to do this carefully because it is packed in quite a bit of liquid. If you like your meat less salty, you can rinse this off, but it isn't necessary. Add the beef to the slow cooker with the fat side UP!

2- Pour the apple cider vinegar around the beef and add just enough water to coat the bottom of the cooker.

3- Sprinkle the sugar, garlic, black pepper, and seasoning packet provided with the meat on top and gently rub in.

4- Cook on low for 8 hours.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I have learned a couple of things about picking out corned beef. Usually in the stores there will be the option for a point cut or a flap cut. The point cut generally has more fat on it, which I think provides a little extra flavor and makes it more juice. The flat cut is more lean, so has less fat. They honestly taste just about the same but for me, I usually will get a point cut because I like me some added fat :)
~ There are a couple of reasons I don't add much water. One reason is because the meat is going to release quite a bit of juice so not much is needed to keep it juice. The second reason is because I like the top of my meat to get a little bit crispy (thus why I add some sugar as well). If it is fully submerged in liquid, it won't allow the top to crisp up at all.
~ If for some reason it did not get a bit crispy on the top, turn your oven onto broil and place meat on a foil lined pan and place 6-7 inches from the broiler until it is as crispy as you want it.
~ If you want to add vegetables to the slow cooker, I would do this at the last 2-4 hours. Potatoes and carrots will take much longer then onions and cabbage. Potatoes and carrots I would add in (depending on the size of everything), the last 3-4 hours and onions and cabbage I would hold off until the last 1-2 hours. Just note- adding vegetables will result in the meat not becoming crispy. I would also add more liquid if you plan to do vegetables in the slow cooker as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...