Thursday, October 27, 2016

Carne Asada Fries

GUYS!!!! Oh man. I had this baby last night and had to jump on today to share it with you. The marinade on this steak is amazing and paired with the guac and fries just takes it over the edge.
One thing I have decided lately is that everything is better served on top of fries. We went to a little mom and pop sandwich place a couple weeks ago and they suggested that we try the fillings on top of fries instead of in the sandwich buns and holy smokes. It was so much better, and we all know how much I loves me some bread! So for me to say it was better on fries is saying a lot.
This recipe is simple, fast, and screams Southern California lovin. One thing I miss about living there is the amazing carne asada you could pick up pretty much everywhere. I'm here to tell ya that this is a great recipe if you want to get that So Cal vibe in your home for a meal. It won't let you down.

I found this recipe will being bored and browsing around on Pinterest. Here is the direct link if you're interested.


1 bunch cilantro (no stems) chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon each Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
Zest & juice of one lime
One flank steak – about 1.5 pounds
1-28 ounce bag frozen French fries
About 2 cups shredded colby/jack cheese
Guacamole
sour cream for garnish (optional and not necessary in my opinion but I don't like the stuff lol)

1. Combine cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper, olive oil, lime juice and zest – mix well
2. Put flank and marinade into a large Ziploc bag, zip shut and squish around to make sure flank is well covered
3. Refrigerate 1-4 hours. The longer you let it marinade for the better the flavor will be. I let mine go for about 3 hours and it was pretty darn tasty.
4. Heat grill to high and grill flank about 5 minutes each side
5. Meanwhile, cook french fries according to package directions
6. Slice flank into thins strips then rough chop into smaller pieces
7. Put cheese on top of warm fries and place steak on top to help get the cheese melty.
8. Serve with fresh made quacamole on top.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ When I pulled my french fries out I topped mine with a squeeze or two of lime and some fresh cilantro. 
~ I personally am not a fan of sour cream so you will almost never see me recommend having it as a garnish. I only had homemade quac on mine and I'm telling you that's all it needs in my book. Unless you make awful quacamole, then many it would need it ;)
~ When I cooked my steak I cooked it more on the rare side, which isn't a typical way of cooking carne asada in Southern California. Usually it is cooked through and minced to pieces. We however like our steak medium and not massacred so we made sure to cook it to our personal preferences.
~ I also topped mine with some fresh cilantro. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh thank you very much for this unique, salty and delicious recipe. I liked it in the photo you shared. My kids love potato and i think it will add some taste to potato.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...