Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Chow Mein

Whenever I would go to Panda Express growing up I always got the fried rice. Chow mein always looked so gross to me whenever my mom would get it. Since they changed their rice recipe a while ago (I actually have no idea how long ago it was haha) I decided one day a couple years ago to venture out and try the chow mein. Okay, normally I have a hard time saying that my mom knew what she was talking about ;) but she did. Chow mein rocks! I've never gone back to the fried rice and always get the chow mein now and trust me I have a hard time resisting the urge to tell them to just fill up the whole container and forget the main dishes.
This recipe is a great mock version of the Panda Express kind. It has the same ingredients, as far as I can tell, and it tastes just as good if not better.
It also comes together very quick so its an easy side to pair with your favorite dishes. I paired mine with some potstickers that I had posted about a little bit ago. SO YUMMY!
Anyway, enjoy!

This recipe comes from one of two food blogs that I obsess over. This one is from Damn Delicious. She is currently getting a cookbook in the works and I am stoked for it to come out!


1/4 cup soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 (5.6-ounce) packages refrigerated Yaki-Soba, seasoning sauce packets discarded*
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
2 cups shredded cabbage

1. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, ginger and white pepper; set aside.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, add Yaki-Soba until loosened, about 1-2 minutes; drain well.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and celery, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in cabbage until heated through, about 1 minute.
4. Stir in Yaki-Soba and soy sauce mixture until well combined, about 2 minutes.
Serve immediately

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ In my store the Yaki-Soba noodles are over in my produce area which has a little Asian section in it. It should be by where the wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers are. There were many different flavors to choose from and I personally didn't discard the seasoning I saved it and used it for a quick seasoning for another dish I made.
~ The noodles are like a fresh ramen noodle but a little bit thicker.

1 comment:

  1. From the past few weeks I am listening that my wife will make chow men but she is unable to have good recipe. Going to show this post to her and hope that she will make it in coming week

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...