Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce

I love gyros. Love love love them. We have a great little Greek/Mediterranean food place that we like to go to that is literally a block down the road that has AMAZING lamb gyros.
Needless to say I have been craving some lately but I'm way to cheap to buy lamb so I opted to try out a chicken gyros recipe I found on Pinterest. It was good. I LOVED the Tzatziki sauce. I paired mine up with some fresh red onion and tomatoes and served them on homemade Pita bread.
My husband told me that I need to stop trying recipes for our favorite foods that we like to order at restaurants because when I make them they always end up tasting better then the restaurants (flattery will get you everywhere with me).

This recipe includes directions for both the Tzatziki sauce and the chicken. Both recipes came from a blog called The Girl Who Ate Everything. Honestly speaking I will not make the chicken how she did again, but I would adapt it a bit. I didn't like how much dried herbs there was, it was way to overpowering for my tastes but I loved the Tzatziki sauce and it helped calm the chicken down. So if you want to try her recipe for the chicken check out her site. I will be writing down my changes along with her Tzatziki sauce recipe.

Tzatziki Sauce:

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 regular cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Extra virgin olive oil

1. Shred the cucumber or chop in food processor. Wrap in a towel a squeeze to remove as much water as possible. Mix together the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
2. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.

Chicken:

2 teaspoons minced garlic
Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 Tablespoons)
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon Greek Seasoning (sprinkle to your liking)
Salt and pepper
1 1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts

To assemble: Pita bread
Fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
Red onion, sliced thin

1. To prepare the chicken, combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, greek seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mixed well. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour but I HIGHLY recommend doing it overnight.
2. Cook the chicken however you like. I personally roasted mine in the over at 350 for 30 minutes. But you could pan fry it, grill it, anything.
3. Slice chicken thin and place on pita along with Tzatziki sauce, red onion, and tomatoes. ENJOY!

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ So what I changed about her recipe for the chicken was the greek seasoning. The original recipe called for 1 TBSP of oregano and it was just to much for my pallet, of just one spice.
~ For the Tzatziki sauce, I did shred my cucumber but I almost think next time I will do it in small chunks. Not that it was bad, just different.
~ When I did the chicken I let it marinade 6 hours and I still felt like it could have soaked up more flavor so again I highly suggest doing it overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...