Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Ham and Potato Soup

Do you have a bunch of ham left over from your Easter festivities?! I did! I had like 10 pounds of it still! So I went on the search of some new recipes to try. I originally wanted to make a split pea and ham soup or a ham and bean soup because that's what I always remember my mom making when growing up.
I usually like to go on the search through Pinterest and just find the prettiest looking picture of what I want and make it, but this time I decided I wanted to just find a good recipe fast without having to hope it will taste good. All Recipes is always my go to for that because you can see the ratings of the recipes and how many people have rated them. When I saw that this recipe had almost 8,000 reviews and was a full 5 star I decided this would be the recipe to try!
WOW! Its so basic, and so simple, and SOOOOO good! I like basic recipes because once you know you like it, you can add whatever you like to it to jazz it up! This recipe will be a keeper that's for sure!

3 1/2 cups peeled diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1 cup cooked diced ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 TBSP chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper, white or black
5 TBSP butter
5 TBSP flour
2 cups milk

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I didn't have any celery for some reason so I added some carrots which were great added color and flavor.
~ I also did half water half chicken stock.
~ If you brown your veggies a little in some olive oil first before adding the liquids it will help add some more flavor and depth. I don't necessarily think it needs it, but if you don't add chicken stock it would probably be a good idea.
~ Additions that I think would be great but not necessary...garlic, carrots (Thats what I used), beans, peas, corn, green onions to top, cheese, ANYTHING!
~ Something else you could do to add great flavor is if you have a ham bone, you could boil that for a few hours before hand and make a great broth and use that to replace the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...