Monday, March 10, 2014
Chicken and Pepper Pasta
This was incredibly fast to put together and tasted great. I liked that the "sauce" was not some thick alfredo sauce, its just a light chicken stock. I found this dish very refreshing. This dish was also on my table from start to finish in less then 20 minutes so you can definitely have this on a weeknight even if you are busy!
13.25 ounces Whole Grain Penne (could use any pasta, gluten free, etc.)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup sweet onions, diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 oz fresh basil chopped
1 cup chicken, grilled and sliced into strips
1 cup roasted red peppers, diced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
(If your chicken is not grilled already I would turn your grill on and get it cooked while your water is heating up for the pasta)
1. Cook the penne according to package.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat; add onions and garlic; cook until onions are transparent.
3. Add basil, chicken, and red peppers.
4. Cook 2 more minutes
5. Add chicken broth and let simmer for about a minute. Then add cooked penne to skillet and toss together until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
**Randi's Side Notes**
~ So when I read this recipe for some reason I thought it called for sundried tomatoes instead of the roasted red peppers so I ended up using those instead because that is what I had. Fortunately it tasted fantastic so it is a good alternative.
~ To make gluten free, use your favorite gluten free noodle.
~ To make dairy free, sub in your favorite dairy free cheese or just leave it off.