Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Chicken and Lentil Soup

Oh SkinnyTase! You've done it again. I just love this ladies website! she has the most amazing recipes that are easy and healthy!
I have really been in the mood to have some lentils lately and of course the only thing that popped into my head was lentil soup. I didn't want to make the same kind I always do so I ventured out to find a new recipe. This recipe is great and easy! Its full of flavor and will fill you right up!


1 lb dried lentils
12 oz (3) boneless skinless chicken thighs, all fat trimmed
8 cups water
1 tbsp chicken Better than Bouillon ( If GF please make sure     you check the kind of bouillon you use )
1 small onion
2 scallions
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 cloves garlic
1 medium ripe tomato
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp ground annato (or Spanish paprika, or even Sazon)
salt, to taste


1. In a large pot combine lentils, chicken, water and chicken bullion.
2. Bring to a boil, covered over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked, about 20 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken and shred, return to the pot.
4. Meanwhile, in a chopper or by hand, mince the onions, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and tomato.
5. Add to the lentils with garlic powder, cumin, oregano and annato and cook, covered until the lentils are soft, about 25 more minutes, adding more water as needed if too thick. Adjust salt to taste as needed.


**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I used bone in chicken thighs so I just started out by cooking them without the lentils first for about 10 minutes so they could get a little extra cooking time in without overcooking the lentils. I also used 6 thighs which worked out great because I thought it had a good ratio of chicken to the rest of the soup.
~ I did not have annato (nor did I know what it was) but a friend of mine had some Sazon seasoning. You buy it in little packets at the Mexican market (or if your lucky they have it at your local grocery store).
I don't know exactly what spices are in it but this stuff is great to have on hand to add a little extra umph to any soup! (Oh and I used the whole packet for this soup)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...