Monday, January 6, 2014

Alfredo Sauce

Hello Friends! I feel like it has been far to long since I have posted! Now that all the craziness of the holidays are over I feel like I can breath again. I hope that all of you had some amazing holidays and created beautiful memories!
Now, for the recipe. I have had this recipe for a long time, written on a napkin in my recipe box. I have made it many times and can't believe that I haven't posted about it.
I am a lover of everything smothered in alfredo sauce! My husband loves it as well. In fact, every week while I am planning out my menu for the following week I ask him one meal that he would like to have that week and every time it is "oh I don't know, maybe some chicken with some penne and some alfredo sauce?" LOL.
Since I hadn't made it in a while I decided to cook it up for some of my favorite people last night. It turned out great and really the recipe comes together pretty fast.

1 TBSP butter
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups milk
1/3 cup cream cheese
2 TBSP flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
*additional cheese for serving
*minced parsley
*cracked black pepper

1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
2. While butter is melting combine milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt in blender and blend until smooth.
3. When butter is melted add garlic and let cook 1 minute. DONT let it burn. If it starts to turn golden brown I highly suggest pulling it out and starting over. There is nothing worse then burned garlic.
4. Add milk mixture to pan and slowly bring to a boil, medium high heat. Whisk often to prevent sticking on the bottom.
5. Once boiling, turn temperature down and let simmer for 3-5 minutes or until it starts to thicken (This helps to cook out the flour taste)
6. Add cheese and remove from heat.
7. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. It will thicken more with the added cheese.
(If it ends up to thick just add a little bit more milk in)

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I like to use this sauce with grilled or roasted chicken breasts sliced thin and mixed with whatever kind of pasta. When doing it with pasta I like to add additional cheese, some parsley and black pepper for color, when serving.
~ I also like to use this sauce when I make classic white pizzas. Just use your favorite pizza crust or french bread!
~ To make this low calorie, use skim milk and low fat cream cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...