Monday, September 30, 2013

Shrimp in Coconut Tomato Sauce

Hi friends. I have been really sick over the past week so I decided to take a little time off, and I didn't do any cooking so I didn't have much to share. But I am back. I know you were all very worried lol.
I made this recipe the other week and it was absolutely fantastic. It tasted just like something you would get at probably an Asian inspired restaurant. The sauce consists of coconut milk and tomatoes along with other ingredients that really go well together.
Besides tasting absolutely fantastic it really didn't take long at all to put together. I think the longest thing for me was cooking the rice. So, again, a great weeknight meal.


I got this recipe from my favorite site SkinnyTaste. I know I can't stop talking about her site. She is simply fantastic in creating or at least adapting the most fantastic recipes ever. If you haven't yet checked her blog out you should because I absolutely love trying out her recipes. They are all healthy and she gives weight watchers points, calories, and most nutrition facts for each recipe. It really is amazing.
The only adaptations I did was I didn't add as much shrimp as was called for. I personally used the 41-50 count shrimp and only used about 3/4 of a pound.

1 1/4 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeled)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
4 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
1/2 cup cilantro
4 cloves garlic, minced
kosher salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
14 oz can light coconut milk (50% less fat)*
1/2 lime, squeezed

In a medium pot, heat oil on low. Add red peppers and sauté until soft (about 4 minutes). Add scallion whites, 1/4 cup cilantro, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook 1 minute.

Add tomatoes, coconut milk and salt to taste, cover and simmer on low about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend together and to thicken the sauce.

Add shrimp and cook 5 minutes. Add lime juice.

To serve, divide equally among 4 bowls and top with scallions and cilantro.
Serve over rice.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I really didn't change anything other then how much shrimp I put in. The reason I did this is because I live on a pretty small budget. So by taking 1 pound of shrimp and only using 1/2 to 3/4 of it, really I can use more expensive foods every now and then if I limit how much I use. Using only 1/2 a pound of shrimp ended up being only $2.50. Not bad. Plus using smaller shrimp gives you the illusion that you are using a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...