Wednesday, August 21, 2013

PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps

You know that you have made a good meal when your spouse says (after taking it for leftovers the next day) that this recipe should make it into our regular rotation. Yep, its that good. My husband loved this stuff. It's crunchy and flavor packed, and healthy! How much more do you need really?!
This dish came together extremely fast. Seriously, it took maybe 15 minutes from the minute I started chopping up ingredients till the time it was done! Thats my kind of weeknight meal.
Now, I personally have never had a lettuce wrap from PF Chang's so I cannot verify whether this does or does not actually taste like theirs, BUT, I CAN verify that it is a wonderful recipe full of flavor.

This recipe comes from a blog called Iowa Girl Eats. I noticed that I have been here before to check out a few other recipes that were floating around Pinterest. So I would highly recommend this girl's blog. She seems to have a pretty big variety of types of foods on there.

1lb ground chicken breast
1/2 onion, minced
salt & pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1″ knob ginger, peeled & minced
2-1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 Tablespoon water
1/2 Tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or more if you like it hotter)
dash of pepper
3 green onions, chopped
1/2-8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
10-12 large outer lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry

1. Heat a large, non-stick skillet on high. Add chicken, onion, salt & pepper, then cook until chicken is nearly done, stirring often to break up the meat. Add garlic and ginger then continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink.
2. Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, oil, peanut butter, water, honey, chili garlic sauce and pepper. Microwave for 20 seconds, then stir until smooth. Add into the skillet and stir to combine.
3. Add green onions and water chestnuts into the skillet then cook for 1-2 minutes until the onions are soft and the water chestnuts are heated through.
4. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, and serve with cold lettuce leaves.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I did have to adapt this recipe a little bit because I didn't have a couple of the ingredients, and some I just didn't like. So I omitted the water chestnuts because frankly nobody in my family likes them. But if you are a fan, I'm sure they are good because they would add some amazing crunch to these.
~ As for the things I changed, I had no idea what chili garlic sauce was, so I used some Sriracha sauce instead, which I guess worked cuz it tasted just fine. (UPDATE: So I found some chili garlic sauce at the store, its right above the Sriracha sauce lol)  I also pulled out my green onions and realized that they had gone bad, which I was extremely bummed over, but I had a red pepper in my fridge so I chopped up some of that and added it and it was great (yes I realize that a red pepper and a green onion are nothing alike but hey, I did it for the color!)
~ For people who struggle with gluten, please make sure that you double check your soy sauce. There are some fantastic brands out there that don't have gluten in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...