Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sugar Cookies

Happy Independence Day everybody! It's days like today where I feel like I should be a total rock star and bust out in song because I would be singing (and possibly HAVE been singing this song all day)
    "For I'm PROUD to be and AMERICAN,
     where at least I know I'm FREE,
     and I won't forget the men who died,
     who gave that Right to ME"
I truly am so grateful for all of our veterans and current men serving in all areas of the Army.
While in the patriotic mood today I decided that for our centerpiece for our little BBQ that I would make a bunch of my favorite sugar cookies and make an awesome flag out of them! I saw this idea on Pinterest and thought it looked so cute! I have little tiny white stars that will go on top of the blue ones instead of doing them all the same size on that part, but this is the general idea.
Anyway, I love this sugar cookie and frosting recipe. My family have used this recipe for years and years. Usually the only time that I make sugar cookies is for Valentines day, because anybody that knows me or my family knows that the women ALWAYS make our sweeties a GIANT heart shaped one and decorate it nice and cute just for them. It's always a big hit in my home. So my sweetie is extra lucky this year because he gets to have sugar cookies twice this year :)



Mine looked like this:

For the Cookies:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1. Mix butter, sugar and eggs together until smooth. Then add vanilla and mix well.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in batches to the butter mixture.
3. To check if dough is ready pinch a little bit between your fingers. If it sticks A LOT then add a little more flour until it doesn't stick to much to your fingers.
4. Form a ball with the dough and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
5. To make cookies, dust your counter (make sure its very clean) with flour and roll out your dough to your desired thickness. (I usually roll mine about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick). Using whatever shape you desire cut out your dough and place them on a cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes depending on your desired doneness and the thickness of your cookies.
7. Let cool and frost.

Frosting Recipe:
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
dash of salt
(blend those ingredients with a mixer) then add
2 TBSP-1/4 cup milk or cream
splash of vanilla
(blend again)

Taste to see if its how you like it. I would start by adding just a little milk and then adding more to get your desired thickness or thinness.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I usually make a double batch and freeze half of the cookies for another time (before frosting them)
~ I like my cookies soft so I usually pull them out before they get a chance to get any brown on them at all. Usually right at the 6 minute mark depending on the size of the cookie.

6 comments:

  1. Amazing how you were able to pattern it after the Independence day celebration. I always wanted to learn how to make stuff like that and not just bake for the sake of baking but also to design it into something attractive.
    - KatzGlutenFree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Rachel! I find it a lot more enjoyable to bake around holiday's because the decorating can be fun. This idea was simple enough that I could handle, so I figured most everybody else could to!

      Delete
  2. What kind of flour did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use just regular old all purpose unbleached flour. If you have a gluten problem I would suggest trying almond flour. I also like to sift my flour myself to add a little extra air into it, so I measure the flour before sifting.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting this! I used this recipe for Christmas cookies, and they were a HUGE hit :o) Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I just made another batch of these for Valentines day and they were AMAZING! haha. Im glad you liked them!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...