Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Coconut Chicken w/ Apricot Sauce



Coconut and chicken go so well together. I usually can't make
dishes like this because my husband doesn't like the texture of coconut nor does he like cooked fruit, so I have basically been waiting to try this recipe for 8 years. I decided last night that I was going to make it regardless of whether he would like it or not. I thoroughly enjoyed it, he picked off all the coating and pushed the sauce my direction. Oh well.
If you like coconut then you will like this recipe. The coconut gives a sweetness to the chicken that makes it fine to eat alone but then you add in this interesting dipping sauce and bam...its fruity, its sweet, and its chicken. It almost kind of reminds me of a sweet and sour, but kind of not as well (good description right?!)
This recipe came from a new site that I have come across called Seeded at the Table. This is now the second recipe that I have posted from her site so I may end up finding some more delicious recipes to try from there!

1 egg
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

1/4 cup apricot preserves
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Lightly beat the egg in a medium bowl; set aside. Mix the coconut, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Working with one chicken breast at a time, dip the chicken in the bowl with the beaten egg and then coat with the coconut mixture. Place on the baking sheet. Once all chicken breasts are coated and on the baking sheet, evenly drizzle with the melted butter. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping once halfway.

To prepare the apricot sauce, mix the apricot preserves and the Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Freezer Friendly: After baking the chicken, let cool completely then freeze in a freezer bag for up to 1 month. To reheat, bake in a preheated oven at 400˚F for 20 minutes.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I do think next time I will use chicken tenders instead of the breast. That way I can get a little more crunch with a little less chicken in each bite.
~ The preserves that I used was an apricot, mango, blood orange blend...WHICH WAS GREAT! But...I didn't have any Dijon (yep I accidentally left it out on the counter over night a little bit ago oopsies) so I used just a little bit of spicy brown mustard. It was good, but I would def. think the regular Dijon would be better.
~ I also read that some people left the butter off to make it healthier and it tasted great. I however think it would need a little something to help get that coconut mixture crispy so you could use a smaller amount of olive oil or some spray for a healthier alternative.
~ To make it gluten free try using almond flour or even coconut flour to bring out that coconut flavor even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...