Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Chicken Massaman Curry


Wow its been a while. There is actually a very reasonable reason why I haven't posted much on here. As of late, I have been getting all of my recipes off of another blog, which Im sure you noticed by a few of my last posts ranting and raving about a certain blog. Anyway, I finally have made one that didn't come from there so I decided to share.
A few months ago when my parents were visiting us they took us to a Thai restaurant by our apartment. I had never had Thai food before so I had no idea what to order. Long story short...we ended up eating Massaman which was absolutely amazing that I ended up going back the next weekend to get some more and then back a couple of weeks later. Since I become obsessed with it we went to the Asian food market just down the road and I grabbed every can that said Massaman on it to give them a try. Well I just now many months later have gotten around to trying it out.
I searched online for a recipe and didn't really find anything promising. So I basically combined three recipes together, taking what I thought sounded alright from each and making up my own.



The massaman paste that I ended up using looked like this:



2 cans Coconut Milk
1 4 oz. can massaman paste (For GF, check your brand. Some have gluten and some don't)
3 chicken breasts, sliced very thin
4-5 small potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks
half of an onion chunked
1-2 carrots, sliced
1 TBSP brown sugar
3/4 TBSP fish sauce
1/4 tsp ginger, fresh or dried
salt to taste
juice of half of a lime
1/2 cup roasted peanuts

1. Combing one can of coconut milk and massaman paste in a large saucepan and heat through.
2. Add chicken and let cook for about a minute, just to give it a head start.
3. Add second can of coconut milk and bring to a boil.
4. Add remaining ingredients, except peanuts, cover and let simmer until potatoes are cooked but not mushy.
5. Adjust seasonings as needed and then finish off by adding the peanuts just before serving.

Serve with jasmine rice (I only had plain old white rice and it was fine)

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Like I said before I combined three different recipes so I can't say the others were gross but this turned out really well. I don't know if by leaving some of the ingredients out if it would be just as good or not, but I think next time I will try leaving out the fish sauce and maybe brown sugar...I couldn't taste them at all so maybe they don't have a big impact on the flavor.
~ With the potatoes, I had read online that a few people said to NOT USE Idaho russet potatoes but to use a less starchy potato like red or yellow. I of course only had russet so I used them and I would have to agree that they ended up getting a little mushy and thickening the curry a little. Next time I will def. try using yellow.
~ Other ingredients that others used in their massaman curry that I chose to omit were: peanut butter, worcestershire sauce, sriracha sauce, and cilantro. To me none of those sounded like the kind that I had at the restaurant so I chose to leave them out.
~ Next time I think I will also try a suggestion of cooking the massaman paste first in a little oil and then adding in one can of coconut milk followed by the rest of the recipe. For some reason they said it helps bring out the flavor more and help it combine with the coconut milk better. I didn't personally have a problem with my paste combining with the milk but who knows...
~ To make this gluten free try subbing out the rice for quinoa.
~ If you need Soy Free...just make sure you check the type of Massaman paste you buy. Some have it and some don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...