Thursday, January 3, 2013

Almond Chicken


I was very surprised at the lack of almond chicken recipes on the internet. I thought this was a popular dish? I found 3 that seemed okay but none of them would work with the diet so I had to create my own substitutions to make it work. So I will, as usual, put the original recipe and then how I needed to change it down below in my notes.



3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons water
2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 1/2 to 2 pounds), split
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds, broken into pieces
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons canola oil


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, season bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Place eggs in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons water, and beat lightly. Dip chicken in egg, wiping away excess with your fingers, and dip in bread-crumb mixture. Dredge until lightly coated. Dip in egg again, and coat thoroughly with almonds.
3. Heat butter and oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Saute chicken until nicely browned, about 3 minutes, and turn over. Cook 1 minute more; then transfer pan to oven, and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ To make this work for the diet I removed the bread crumbs, eggs, butter, and canola oil. Yes pretty much the whole thing other then almonds and chicken lol. I do think this recipe looks fantastic as written so thats why I included it instead of just putting down my recipe.
~~Randi's Recipe~~
3/4 cup almond or quinoa flour
salt and pepper
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 TBSP almond butter
3 chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds, broken into pieces
olive oil for frying

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Trim off all fat from chicken, and season with salt and pepper. (You could pound out the chicken so you don't have to further the cooking in the oven or even cut them into tenders)
3. Combine almond milk and almond butter, whisk until its well combined. I added the almond butter because with just the milk the almonds had a harder time sticking to the chicken. (Now I have not made this the second time with the almond butter in it yet, so if you do try it...let me know how it works so I know whether or not I need to try something else to get the almonds to stick better)
4. In 3 separate tins put your flour, milk mixture, and smashed almonds. Roll chicken in flour, dip in milk, and then heavily roll in almonds. (If the almond pieces are to big they don't stick as well)
5. Heat oil in skillet and fry until golden on each side. (Usually 3-4 minutes on first side and 1-2 on second side.)
(If doing the whole breast transfer to a baking sheet and finish cooking in the oven. Depending on the thickness it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...