Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Spanish Rice


Last night I made my favorite Chicken Enchiladas and wanted to make some homemade spanish rice to go with it instead of the boxed junk you buy at the store. Although this rice was a little on the spicy side, I loved the flavors of it, especially the fresh cilantro at the end...mmmmm
I've always wanted to learn the secret to making a real good authentic spanish rice, but for now this one will work just fine.



2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1/2 whole Large Onion, Chopped
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 cups Long Grain Rice
1 can Rotel (10 Ounce)
1 can Whole Tomatoes (14.5 Ounce)
2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (more If Needed)
1 teaspoon Cumin (more To Taste)
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Fresh Cilantro, Chopped

1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions then cook for 3 to 4 minutes.

2. Reduce heat to low and add rice and garlic. Stir constantly, making sure the rice doesn’t burn. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes.

3. Add Ro-tel and tomatoes. Stir to combine and let cook for 2 minutes. Finally, add broth and bring to a boil. *Add the cumin and kosher salt at this point.

4. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 additional minutes or until rice is done.

**Add more liquid as needed; rice shouldn’t be sticky.

5. Just before serving, sprinkle lots of freshly chopped cilantro over the top. Serve immediately.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ So I realized after making this that the sauce of the Rotel sauce is what was so spicy. So next time I believe I would drain it first and just add more chicken broth for liquid.
~ When I was reading the original recipe it didn't say where to add the cumin and kosher salt, and so for some reason I added it with the rice to brown. It still came out tasting great but the spices did try to stick to the bottom of the pan, thus my suggestion to add it when you add all the liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...