Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sausage Potato Medley


You know what? I just love everything about casseroles. I came across this recipe a few years ago when I was trying to find something to make using sausage. The funny thing is, that in the book I got it from it didn't have a picture...and most of you know by now that I don't make recipes unless I have some kind of picture to look at. Anyway, I'm glad I decided to try this one out, because it has become one of mine and Sam's favorites.




4 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
1 pound bulk pork sausage
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (For GF, shred your own cheese)
3 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk

1- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; cover and bring to a boil over med-high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes. Drain; place in a greased 2 qt. baking dish.
2- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over potatoes; sprinkle with cheese.
3- In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Pour over cheese.
4- Cover and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ If you didn't figure it out already, you are making a basic white sauce to pour over the whole thing. Make sure you don't try to rush bringing it up to a boil.
~ I also just use the same pan I cooked the potatoes in so that I don't have to dirty up more dishes.
~ I like to add a layer of cheese in between the potatoes and sausage, in addition to on top of the sausage...because really can you have to much cheese? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...