Thursday, April 7, 2011
Can you really have to many casserole recipes? I don't think so. This one includes most things that people will have at home. Yes I know my picture is very unappetizing to look at but really its an all in one casserole. It has the Italian spices of a spaghetti sauce and the bread right on with it.
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (4 oz) can mushrooms, drained
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/ tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 slices american cheese
1/4 cup grated parmessan cheese
1 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/4 cup milk
1. Cook beef, onion, and garlic until brown, then drain off grease.
2. Stir in sauce, mushrooms, sugar, oregano, basil, slat and pepper. Heat to boil.
3. Reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes.
4. Mix baking mix, milk, and egg.
5. Grease 8x8x2 baking dish. Spoon half the baking mixture onto bottom of pan. Top with 4 slices of cheese. Spoon beef mixture over cheese. Sprinkle with parmessan cheese and remaining american cheese. Drop remaining baking mixture on top.
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 375.
**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I normally double the baking mix recipe and only put it on the top.
~ I also don't mess with "slices" of cheese and just sprinkle it with as much shredded cheese as looks good to me.
~ Fresh herbs are also really good in this recipe, you will need to add more of those though.