Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Cheesy Potatoes aka Mormon Funeral Potatoes
These potatoes are famous in the LDS world. It seems like you can't go to a Christmas party, funeral, enrichment, nothing without seeing these wonderful bits of goodness on the table.
1 TBSP butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1 bag frozen shredded hashbrowns
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 pint sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
*broken potato chips
1. In a very large pot saute the onions in the butter until almost done. Add the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Heat through. Add the shredded cheese. When melted add all the hashbrowns and make sure the gooey goodness coates all of the hashbrowns. Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish and evenly distribute the cheesy potatoes. Cover with broken potato chips.
2. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until its nice and crispy on top.
**Randi's Side Notes**
~ This recipe is so versatile. Here are some substitutions you could also use.
- add cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom
- no potato chips? add corn flake crumbs, panko, or bread crumbs (or just leave the crunchy part off)
- not enough sour cream? add some cream cheese