Monday, March 28, 2011

Mexican Chicken Pizza


I was a little skeptical to try this pizza only for the fact that it didn't have any sauce on it. I'll tell you what though, the crust was soooo yummy. I will definitely use this crust as my "go-to" fast crust.
~Update~ I DO always use this as my go to crust now. Why you may ask...because it doesn't have to wait to rise for very long. Its a lot faster then most other recipes I have found. It isn't your typical bready crust. It is a lot more dense and crunchy, but I love it.



1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons regular active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
Additional cornmeal
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (8 oz)
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 can (14.5 oz)organic fire roasted diced tomatoes or plain diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup sliced green onions (4 medium)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


1 Heat oven to 450°F. In medium bowl, mix 3/4 cup of the flour, the sugar, yeast and salt. Stir in warm water and oil. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on high speed 1 minute. Stir in 1/3 cup cornmeal and remaining 3/4 cup flour to make a soft dough.
2 On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
3 Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray; sprinkle with additional cornmeal. On cookie sheet, press dough into 14x10-inch rectangle; prick with fork. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges just begin to turn brown.
4 Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese blend. Top with chicken, tomatoes and bell pepper. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 6 to 8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and edges are golden brown. Sprinkle with onions and cilantro.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I didn't have a Mexican Blend of cheese, so I just used my big bag of shreeded cheese from Costco and sprinkled a little bit of cumin on top to give it a little mexican spice. It turned out really good.
~ I also used a green pepper and it was very good.
~ I did put some of the whiter part of the green onions on the pizza to cook up a bit rather then eat all of it raw.
~ For me the cilantro did it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cilantro.
~ I did spoon a little bit of salsa verde over the crust before the ingredients, but I really don't think it was necessary. It was good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...