Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bountiful Baskets


So I just got done putting away all the fruits and vegetables that I got from my very first Bountiful Baskets excursion. I must say, that is a really fun experience and you get what you pay for thats for sure.
For those of you who don't know what Bountiful Baskets is, I will explain a little. Bountiful Baskets is not a business. It is a group of people who work together for mutual benefit. Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op is constantly growing to reach new areas as volunteers want to have a co-op site close to their home. They train with an existing Volunteer Site Coordinator and request a site to be added. They are completely volunteer-run and make no profit. They purchase these fruits and vegtables from all over the states, and Mexico. You never know exactly what will come in your basket because they change it every week depending on what is in season and price of food.
Anyway, you go online to http://www5.bountifulbaskets.org/ and register. The days that you can purchase your basket is on Monday after 12 until Tuesday at midnight. Although from what I have seen they run out pretty fast. You place your order for what you want (number of baskets, and any other special offers such as bread, honey, etc.) and then you go on Saturday to pick it up. Now when you go you have to bring your own basket, bag, or box to carry your stuff in. You stand in line, sign in, and then go to wherever your food is located. Once you have loaded it up, you lug it all back to your car and enjoy. In the typical basket you get 6 vegetables and 6 fruits. Now I don't mean you only get 1 of each. For example, today I got:
1 bunch of romain lettuce
2 cucumbers
1 bundle of asparagus
1 head of cauliflower
3 bunches of broccoli
10 tomatoes
6 oranges
7 apples
2 pomelos
1 canetelope
1 box of stawberries
9 bananas
Basically overall, I am very impressed. It runs very smoothly and you get a ton for what you pay for in my opinion. Plus, I wouldn't normally go to the store and buy some asparagus or pomelos, so its a good chance to try some new things or things that you are to cheap to buy! I can't wait to make smoothies out of some of this stuff! I will definitely be doing this again and hopefully I will get up early enough to go and volunteer sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...