Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lemon Chicken, Hunan Style

I found this recipe in one of my moms REALLY OLD cookbooks. It is now one of my absolute favorites! Don't judge some of the ingredients in the sauce until you try it...and also...the sauce isn't that tasty just on the tip of your finger so again don't judge it before you try it with the chicken. :)



Chicken:
3 whole chicken breasts
vegetable oil for frying
1/4 cup flour
1/4 water
1 egg
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

Honey lemon Sauce:
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. lemon peel
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup honey
1 TBSP catsup
1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 TBSP cornstarch
1 TBSP cold water

Chicken:
1- Beat all ingredients for the chicken together EXCLUDING the chicken and the vegetable oil for frying.
2- Dip chicken pieces one at a time into batter. Fry pieces in oil until golden brown, turning once.
3- Cut chicken crosswise into 1/2 inch slices; arrange in single layer on heated platter. Keep warm. Prepare Sauce

Sauce:
1- Heat 1/2 cup water, lemon peel, lemon juice, honey, catsup, bouillon (dry), salt and garlic to boiling.
2- Mix cornstarch and 1 TBSP water; stir into sauce. Cook and stir until thickened, about 30 seconds.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ When I cook my chicken I actually cut the chicken into pieces or slices before I fry them. This way I get more batter on the chicken...because that batter is soooo yummy.
~ If you cut the chicken before, you may need to double the batter recipe but not the sauce recipe.
~ Also I roll the chicken in cornstarch first, and then into the batter, just to give it a little extra crunch.
~ The picture for this recipe actually came from a different recipe that I tried. Once I realized how similar in flavor the recipes were I decided to replace my very poorly taken picture with this one. So this picture shows a bright yellow lemon sauce, but this recipes sauce is actually more of a reddish color. You can use the other sauce recipe, or this one. They are both great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...