Wednesday, June 9, 2010

El Pollo Loco Avacado Salsa


Okay so this is a recipe I found online that is PRETTY DARN CLOSE to El Pollo Loco's.
**UPDATE** I have recently been noticing that the kind at El Pollo Loco is spicier then it used to be and read a sign somewhere that they don't use the jalapeno anymore to make this but they use a habanero pepper instead. I know that those are a spicier pepper but to be honest I don't know how much you would need to put in if you want to make it just like them.



1 ripe avacado
1 jalapeno, stemmed and quartered
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 TBSP minced fresh cilantro
2 TBSP diced onion

1. Combine avacado, jalapeno, water, vinegar, and salt in food processor. Puree the mixture for several seconds on high speed, or until jalapeno is finely minced.
2. Pour mixture into a medium bowl. Stir in cilantro and onion. Cover and chill.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~Okay so I don't put as much salt in as this calls for or as much water. I like this salsa a little more thick. I also puree the first ingredients together and then I put in the cilantro and onion and just pulse it a couple of times to get it mixed and a little more chopped.
~We like to eat it with the seeds in...but for a less spicy version...take the seeds out and please don't use your fingers!! LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!! The seeds will burn your skin and its not pleasant.
~ Diet approved friends...this makes a great alternative to using tomato salsa in recipes or to top your food. It has amazing flavors and will give any dish that extra umph.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like green chutney to me. But it probably doesn’t taste like one since it has avocado. Is it sweet, tangy or spicy? I’m curious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...